A chicken vendor weighs a chicken in Hung Yen province, Vietnam (photo credit: ILRI/Nguyen Ngoc Huyen).
This project is linking, working with, and building capacity in multi-disciplinary research groups in six pilot countries: Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Thailand, Viet Nam and China (Yunnan Province). The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) is coordinating the set of pilot research projects in these countries, facilitating learning across the projects, and helping translate the knowledge gained into feasible policies and actions.
Running until July 2013, the project supports all costs related to research studies undertaken in this project. During the project’s preparatory phase (mid-2009), national researchers are working with relevant decision-makers in disease control as well as with local communities.
ILRI and its technical partners support the research teams from the design phase of their studies to their final communications in such formats as policy briefs, conference presentations and peer-reviewed articles. To complement existing projects in the Southeast Asia region on emerging infectious diseases, the project may support research into endemic or neglected, as well as emerging, zoonoses if the former are deemed high-priority issues by national decision-makers and local communities.
Tools, methods, approaches and lessons used or generated and found useful by the project will be disseminated to South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa to support development of similar projects in these regions.
Start Date: 1 February 2008 | End Date: 31 July 2013
Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Thailand, Viet Nam and China (Yunnan Province)
- Agriculture Bureau, Hanoi city
- Asian Partnership on Emerging Infectious Diseases Research
- Center for Indonesian Veterinary Analytical Studies
- Centre for Livestock and Agriculture Development
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Chiang Mai University
- Department of Animal Health, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Department of Hygiene and Prevention, Ministry of Health, Lao PDR
- Department of Livestock and Fisheries, Lao PDR
- Department of Livestock Development, Thailand
- Disease Investigation Center, Denpasar, Bali
- Hanoi University of Agriculture
- Indonesian Center for Agriculture Socio Economic and Policy Studies
- Institut Pasteur in Ho Chi Minh City
- Mekong Basin Disease Surveillance Network
- National Agriculture and Forestry Research Institute, Lao PDR
- National Institute of Animal Health, Thailand
- National Institute of Veterinary Research, Vietnam
- Nong Lam University, Ho Chi Minh City
- Savannakhet University, Lao PDR
- Sub Department of Animal Health, Hanoi
- Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute
- University of Gadjah Mada, Indonesia
- Veterinary Public Health Unit, Department of Animal Health and Production, Ministry of Agriculture
- Veterinarians Without Borders – Canada
- Yunnan Academy of Grassland and Animal Science
- Yunnan Agricultural University
- Yunnan Animal Science and Veterinary Institute
- Yunnan Institute of Endemic Disease Control and Prevention
International Development Research Centre (IDRC)